The Bear Flag Games (Test Week) and Programming
Hey Bear Flag Athletes,
I wanted to take the time to explain a little more in-depth the thoughts and reasons behind Test Week and where we go afterward. The basic idea is for one week, starting Monday, July 2nd to Saturday, July 7th, we will be focusing on a range of workouts (4 scaling options details below) to complete and carefully record our results. The class schedule will not change, and each class session is still the same 60 minutes. But most importantly in 3 months time, we will repeat these same workouts and this will give us new insight into a few things such as…
- How effective has the programming been these last 3 months (between tests)?
- Are members too sore? Is there a chance we are over-training a certain muscle group? Or under-training (Core what core?!)
- Is your nutrition helping or harming your results of the test?
- Because we believe the pursuit of fitness has a direct effect on your health markers. i.e. blood pressure, bone density, muscle mass, HDL “good cholesterol”.
- Is there an area of your fitness that needs some improvement, maybe it is spending more time doing the things you don’t like to do i.e endurance training, or skill progressions, or strength/stability training or flexibility.
- “Coach I’ve been doing CrossFit for 3 years and I still can’t….(fill in the blank)!”
As you can see us coaches have the opportunity to now answer some big questions. But the test is only as valuable as the accuracy of the data. It is up to you to help us in keeping track of your results and upload it onto Wodify (the computer).
So what does it look like!? Well to name a few here are the main requirements of the test and what they mean to us.
- Absolute Strength – Your child is trapped under a car, can you rescue him/her? Or can you open the jar of jelly, please?
- Olympic Lifts – Take your strength and apply it with precision force and timing
- Flexibility – Range of motion through your joints
- Skills – Those things that need a little bit of practice every day
- Energy System Testing
- Phosphagen (phosphocreatine) pathway – A minute of very intense work – i.e. sprints
- Glycolytic (lactate) pathway – A couple minutes of good effort – i.e. rowing 1000m
- Oxidative (aerobic) pathway – Several minutes of sustained work – i.e. jogging to the street light and back
Last but not least is the scaling options. CrossFit is infinitely scalable and Test Week is no different.
The scales are as follows and will be assigned to you by your coach. After all your coach is trained to best recommend which workout will be the most appropriate to keep you safe and get the most out of the test.
- FireBreather (ex. Chest to bar Pull-ups)
- Rx (ex. Chin over bar Pull-ups)
- Fitness (ex. Jumping Pull-ups)
- Health (ex. Ring Rows)
If you have any questions or comments feel free to reach out to me at the gym or email, Joshua@bearflagcrossfit.com.